Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Some funny things

My first thing that is the most funny, and also pretty annoying, is that one of the major rules in my school is no running at recess. I didn't know that was a rule, but at recess my teacher kept stopping me and getting mad at me, and I didn't know why. And then he acted it out for me, and I was really confused because I thought that was the whole point of recess -- to run. When I told him that in the United States we always run a ton at recess, he was very surprised.

Another funny thing is that two of the games that they play most here are volleyball with a crumpled up piece of paper and no net, and marbles. Not that many people play where you just play for fun and don't keep each other's marbles. Most people take their opponent's marbles if they win. I did not bring any marbles to Buenos Aires. I got five marbles and then lost them. The way I got them was by giving people drinks of water from my water bottle, for marbles.

A third funny thing is that in music we are learning the song, All My Loving, by the Beatles. The music teacher wrote a pronunciation list that looked like this:

clos ior ais an ail mis iou...

and so on. I found that funny. The music teacher can also play All My Loving on the recorder, which is funny.

Fourth is actually a funny moment. One kid asked me how to say "amor" in English and I told him "love." Then he walked up to some girl that he had a crush on, and pointed at her and said, "love!" with an accent. The girl had no idea what he was talking about, and then he explained it: "love means amor in English." The girl sort of freaked out.

A few more funny things: some people think that in America, Michael Jackson is pronounced Mitch-a-el Jackson. And one person thinks they play a lot of rugby in the United States. Thats ol for nau (pronunciation)!


2 comments:

  1. Once again, I love your addition to the blog. We can just about picture you, being the only one to run around in recess, and the only one who really knows what the Beatles are singing, and more and more unique things about YOU in your school! Keep on telling us more. Don't get annoyed when people think you're different from them. Be sure they know that THEY are different from you! Is that the same, or is it different??? Who's confused now?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No running at recess?!? When do you get to run? Do you at least have gym class where you can run?

    ReplyDelete