Sunday, August 23, 2009

Markets

Sorry I haven't been posting lately -- I have had too many things to do! I'll tell you what those things are: going to outdoor markets, and school. Yesterday (Saturday) we went to not too big of a market in a neighborhood called Recoleta. They sold a lot of things, from mate cups, to wool, to candy apples. We looked around and we liked everything. The first things we got were little pastries that were very good. We looked around some more and the second things we got were very cool. All three of us children got a little sculpture, but instead of being made out of clay it was made out of folded up pieces of paper and subway tickets. Mine and Aviva's are owls, and Ruthie's is a swan. They were very cool. After that, I got (with some begging) a quartz crystal, which is found near Iguazu Falls. After that, we went to a woman selling tiny little elves. They were very small and had little chubby cheeks and were very cute. Aviva and Ruthie both got some.

We also went to the Floralis Generis. It is a sculpture of a flower, and it is very big and famous. It is so huge and every morning they open the flower up, and at 5:00 each afternoon they close the flower up, so it is like a mechanical sculpture. It was very cool.

Today (Sunday) we went to a very big outdoor market in the San Telmo neighborhood. As we walked down the street we saw one person with a marionette, and one person with a jacket that was bent backwards and a tie bent backwards to look like the wind was blowing on him. We also saw a magician showing off the magic tricks that come with the magic set he wanted you to buy. He actually was pretty good. We saw a lot of people selling more rocks, and jewelry made with "Inca Rose" (rhodocrosite) which is Argentina's national stone. We didn't buy anything except Ruthie got a little piece of quartz.

We have been to a lot of ice cream places since I last blogged! One of them is an ice cream place that we went to after school, because we had been eyeing it through the window of the restaurant, La Maie. It was very good. The best flavor there was moka. The next ice cream place was after we went to Friday night synagogue services -- and we think this was our favorite place. The flavors I got were coconut and dulce de leche. Coconut was one of our family's favorites. The dulce de leche also was great. And the final ice cream place was recommended by other American people that we met in Argentina. The flavors I got were flan with dulce de leche, and coconut. The flan was pretty good but the coconut was better. My mom got lemon sorbet and chocolate mousse and the lemon sorbet was much better. We liked that place, but not as much as the second place. There also is an ice cream place around the corner from our house that Aviva likes a lot, and I like pretty much. It has about six different flavors of dulce de leche ice cream, and a few different flavors of chocolate. Sometimes the ice cream is a little icy there, but it's close to our house which is why we go there.

Tomorrow (Monday) I am going to bring lunch to school. I am going to bring a lot of small alfajores to give out to my friends, so that they will think it's actually cool to bring lunch, and they won't think I'm weird. More news after tomorrow! Bye.

BTW -- Don't forget to follow me, and post comments on my blog!

2 comments:

  1. Lots of ice cream outings, I'm jealous!
    Great to talk to you yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jonah - I have to tell you, dulce de leche is one of my favorite flavors!!! I'm so impressed by your blog. I love how much you share and what you have to say. You're an excellent writer, and I love hearing about Buenos Aires through your eyes!!!

    B'shalom,

    Justin David

    ReplyDelete