Friday, August 14, 2009

At school

In school I brought my Rubik's cube just to play with, and someone came over to watch, then a few more, and a few more, and a few more, and soon pretty much half the school was watching me. Then when I finished, everyone was cheering! One kid said to me, "es Dios!" Everyone was asking me what the secret was, and I didn't tell them anything.

In the beginning of the day, every day, we get a type of snack. Sometimes it is bread or crackers or biscuits, and strawberry milk. Today we got a special treat called alfajores. We didn't know about them until we got to Argentina. They are everywhere here. They are two cookies, with dulce de leche in the middle, and the whole thing is covered in chocolate. My friend Ernesto asked me, "como se dice alfajores en ingles?" which means "how do you say alfajores in English?" I replied, "no hay alfajores en los estados unidos!" which means "there are no alfajores in the United States." Then Ernesto was in a state of total shock for five seconds.

He was also surprised when I told him that people don't eat dulce de leche in America. He couldn't believe it.

Today we had English class in school. The kids were learning how to say the names of clothing, like socks, hat, shoes, and sweaters. Then, to help their English, they put on a CD of people speaking English and the people speaking English had British accents. The English teacher also told the class that there is an important baseball team from Massachusetts called the Red Sox (because we were learning how to say socks). She said they wear red socks (because they had already learned the colors).

That's all for now.

No comments:

Post a Comment